Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lesson Number 1

Having spent a significant amount of career time in the dreaded 'c' word - CORPORATE - I admit that you end up taking certain support structures for granted: IT for one; the ever friendly and present mailroom staff; and the magic way you email a request and toner and stationery appear on your desk *poof*.  When you run your own business your first a trip to Staples is an adventure, but it doesn't take very long for you to realize that wearing many hats is not only exciting but also a real challenge. 

My worst hat to wear is IT - I am one of those spoiled women who has a husband who programs the remotes and loads the software and is a bit of a tech junkie.  And I am HAPPILY oblivious to what goes on behind the scenes.  So, when it came to the website for South Shore Organics it was a real learning curve!  Mark - that is my tech junkie husband, who loves me enough to endure me thank goodness - has been a godsend during the development and I think he did a pretty fantastic job.  When we got to the database stuff though, he hit a bit of a wall.  <Enter> OnSite Technology Services.  Aaron, the friendly 'can-do-go-to guy', and Mazz (my imagination has him sitting in a log cabin in the woods living a remote life behind 15 computer screens with a keyboard that gets people stuff they need using software - kinda like Tank, the operator in the Matrix - now there is an arbitrary connection for an organic blog!). 

Anyway, back to the point - after many long nights, and tense moments, and much frustration, and a delay in the official start of South Shore Organics, I am pleased to say that we are moments away from going live with our site and I could not have done it without Mark, or the talented OnSite Tech crew!  Since we are winding up the grateful season, I give thanks for them. 

Lesson 1 in running your own business:  surround yourself with capable, talented people.

No comments:

Post a Comment